April 18, 2009

Les Sisters' Southern Kitchen, Chatsworth

I have dined at Les Sisters' twice before this visit. Once in 2006 and once in 2008. Since I have been recommending Les Sisters' quite a bit recently, I decided it was time for another visit.



We arrived at Les Sisters' around 7:30 p.m. on Friday and saw a group of people waiting outside the small restaurant that probably only seats 25-30 people. I walked in to the restaurant and gave my name to the waitress. We were seated about five minutes later. A quick look at the menu and I noticed that the prices have gone up since my last visit.


Each table has the same three selection of hot sauces. My hot sauce of choice was the Crystal.


Drinks

Fresh-Squeezed Lemonade
2.95 Free refills


The lemonade is served in a large jar with a side of sugar. The lemonade was fresh, tangy and full of flavor. Nothing about the drink tasted diluted even with the ice. Sugar was definitely a welcomed addition to the drink. Although, the amount of sugar necessary to bring the drink to a balance was slightly off putting. If you are in the mood for lemonade, definitely give it a try, especially since you can control the amount of sugar. There are sugar substitutes on the table for those who prefer that.

Food

Hush Pups
3.95



The hush pups were cooked to perfection. Crunchy on the outside and moist on the inside. Each bite contained just the right amount of sweetness to bring out the flavor of the cornmeal. A touch of honey brought out even more flavor of the pups. These were a fun snack and I would order them again.

Hot Links
11.95 includes corn muffin and two sides




The two hot links arrived with a corn muffin, side of BBQ baked beans and side of Cajun fries. The first thought that came into my mind was "these hot links don't look very hot" and unfortunately, I was correct. The hot links were very mild and the sweet BBQ sauce only made the hot links milder. Disappointed with the "hot" links, I moved on to the sides.

The Cajun fries were regular fries with a sprinkle of Cajun seasoning. They were spicy, but undercooked for my taste.

The BBQ baked beans were definitely the highlight of this dish. The BBQ sauce had a nice balance of sweetness and the beans were cooked perfectly. I could have eaten another side with no problem.

The corn muffin was also disappointing. It was bland and dry. Adding milk and some sugar to the batter could make the muffins enjoyable.

The entire dish was disappointing. Although, the links were cooked well and had good flavor, they were not what I ordered.

Famous 4 Piece Fried Chicken
12.95 includes corn muffin and two sides




The fried chicken arrived with a corn muffin, side of mac n cheese, and side of collard greens. Just by looking at the chicken, I could tell it was overcooked. The coloring is much darker than what came out of the kitchen on my last two visits. The chicken is doubled dipped in milk, egg and flour and usually cooked to perfection. Unfortunately, the chicken was overcooked this time. The crust had a slightly burnt taste and thicker from what I remembered. The chicken was also dry and flavorless. The hot sauce couldn't even rescue the chicken.

The mac n cheese was very bland and had a very solid consistency. More milk and cheese would have improved this side. The collard greens were average. Nothing to write home about. Another disappointing dish.

Service
This family run restaurant has a very homey feel. The staff is friendly and attentive. The food does take a while since they are cooked to order.

Overall, I was very disappointed with my recent visit to Les Sisters'. Perhaps there was a different chef in the kitchen, but the fried chicken did not come close to the quality of what was served on my previous visits. The hush pups were the highlight of the meal. I would order the hot links if I were in the mood for mild links covered in sweet BBQ sauce. I will give Les Sisters' another chance, but until then, I won't be able to make any recommendations.

2.5 out of 5 Stars

Les Sisters'
21818 Devonshire St
Chatsworth, CA 91311

Parking
There is plenty of street parking on Devonshire and Jordan Avenue.

Les Sisters Southern Kitchen on Urbanspoon

7 comments:

Smokeydoke said...

Awesome! Chatsworth is a bit of a drive for me, but will check it out if I'm in the area.

Screamin' Mama said...

Interesting. I would love to try those Hush Pups. I love cornbread so this might be an interesting change.

s. stockwell said...

Interesting review. We like Crystal too. best, s

Pinkfoodie said...

Hi Smokeydoke, if you do go, let me know how it goes.

Hi Screamin' Mama, I've never been a huge fan of hush pups, but the ones at Les Sisters' were delicious and addicting.

Hi S.Stockwell, thanks for reading :)

Ricardo said...

Nice review well documented, gratz :)
Rico-Recipes

5 Star Foodie said...

Great review! Thanks for sharing!

Bread and Jam said...

This was fun to read. I love that you can add your own sugar to the lemonade! Very nice. L)