May 4, 2009

Mariscos Chente, Mar Vista

Mariscos Chente is on the corner of Centinela and Gilmore and a shrimp lover's paradise. The restaurant has minimal decorations inside, with booths along the walls and fold out chairs and tables in the middle. The only wall decorations are framed articles of the restaurant and a flat screen television. The restaurant is also minimally staffed, with one chef in the kitchen and one woman running everything else. A look at the menu and we notice that shrimp is the featured ingredient. With a fairly large menu, we focused on the first section of the menu: shrimp plates.



Food

Chips & Salsa
Complimentary



The waitress brought out chips and salsa shortly after we sat down. The chips were cold and had a nice crunch. The jalapeno salsa was very spicy and when I asked the waitress, she mentioned the salsa came out more spicy than normal. Although very spicy, the salsa was addicting.

Ceviche de Camaron
11



The plate of shrimp ceviche arrived piled high with raw shrimp, jalapenos, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions coated with a lime and tomato juice sauce with peppers and cilantro. Everything about the dish tasted fresh, from the shrimp to the cilantro. The coloring of the shrimp was also a great indication that the dish was made to order and not scooped out of a tub of ceviche made earlier in the day. The sauce was a wonderful compliment to the flavor of the shrimp and the fresh vegetables. I couldn't eat the entire dish all by myself due to the amount of shrimp, but definitely a wonderful dish to share.

Camarones a la Diabla
11



When this dish arrived, my mouth began to water from the smell and the presentation. The shrimp was served in a tomato sauce with red peppers and slice red onions. There were about 20 large shrimps on the plate with the head on and shell peeled. The sauce complimented the shrimp which were cooked perfectly. Sucking the sauce out of each shrimp head was one of the highlights of the dish. The rice included carrots, peas, and corn which gave the plate some nice colors. I was put off by the undercooked rice at first, but the bite of the rice grew on me and I started to like the rice more and more. This was definitely my favorite dish out of the two and my recommendation.

Overall, the food is very fresh and the flavors all work well together. The portions are good for the price and the variety of shrimp dishes seem endless. I can't wait to go back and try more of what the kitchen has to offer. If you love shrimp, you'll love Mariscos Chente.

4.5 out of 5 Stars

Mariscos Chente
4532 S Centinela Ave
Los Angeles, CA‎

Parking
There is plenty of street parking on Gilmore.

Mariscos Chente on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

The Duo Dishes said...

Oh man the female half of this Duo used to live in Mar Vista! Never heard of this one. The ceviche looks bomb! It may be worth a 101-405-10 trip for this.

Ricardo said...

That's what I like it looks quite delicious and unusual. loved it:) xxx Rico-Recipes

Exile Kiss said...

Hi Pink Foodie,

Glad to hear you enjoyed Mariscos Chente. The next time you go, definitely give their Pescado Zarandeado a try! Absolutely divine! :) And their Camarones Borrechos and Camarones a la Pimienta! :) So many good dishes there (I have pics of them if you want to see). Enjoy! :)

Pinkfoodie said...

The Duo Dishes - That's the same drive I took to get to Mariscos Chente. I think it's well worth the drive. :)

Ricardo - Thanks for the comment. Perhaps I'll see a similar dish show up on your site?

Exile Kiss - I definitely can't wait to go back and I would love to see pictures of the dishes you recommended. Next time I will have to bring more people so we can order more. Thanks for the comment :)

5 Star Foodie said...

Both of the shrimp preparations look excellent here! I've had the ceviche before but I would love to try a la Diabla preparation!