May 7, 2009

Pink's Hot Dogs, Hollywood

Pink's is the must go at least once for the experience hot dog stand of Los Angeles. Sure there are other places that specialize in hot dogs, but none quite like Pink's. I can always expect the same staff behind the grill, the same quality of food, and the same excitement and anticipation of watching the food being prepared. Plus you get to stare at the famous people on the wall who have visited the hot dog stand. On Tuesday evening, I found myself back at Pink's after craving their chili cheese fries and to my surprise, only a handful of people were in line. I would never wait for Pink's if the line went past the building, but I understand why those from out of town would.


Food


Spicy Polish Dog
4.50


This is my go to dog. The dog is wrapped nicely between a hot dog bun topped with cheese, chili and onions. It has just the right amount of kick to satisfy my spicy cravings combined with good flavors. The chili at Pink's is nothing special, but it works well with what it's being served on. The polish dog is definitely the star. I love the crunch of the casing and the juiciness of the dog. It is hard to put down.

Nacho Cheese Chili Fries
3.95


Of course I didn't forget about the Chili Cheese Fries. I've had chili cheese fries at many places, but my taste buds could not be fooled. The difference is in the fries. The fries at Pink's are seasoned, unlike fries served elsewhere and that's what I love most. The serving size is also huge for the price and well worth it.

Poli-Bacon Chili Cheese Burger
6.45


My partner in crime was brave enough to deviate from the usual and try this burger and it was a great choice. With the components of a polish dog jammed into a hamburger, there was really no way to go wrong. Once we made it past the polish dog to the burger, it was a combination liker no other I've tasted. The hamburger patty itself was difficult to taste between the other ingredients, but it definitely added that extra flavor to the whole burger. Who knew putting a dog inside a hamburger could taste so good. This is definitely a daunting burger and I would warn against any attempts to eat one solo, but I'm sure many have triumphed.

Overall, I think everyone should experience Pink's once. The food and service is consistent and the familiar faces make you feel like you never left.

4 out of 5 Stars

Pink's Hot Dogs
709 N. La Brea Blvd.
Los Angles, CA 90038

Parking
There is plenty of metered parking on La Brea and a parking lot next to the stand, which gets full very quickly on a busy night.

Pink's Hot Dogs on Urbanspoon

9 comments:

5 Star Foodie said...

I really want a hot dog now! These sound awesome!

duodishes.com said...

The female half of this Duo went to Pink's maybe 5 times the first year she lived in LA, but haven't been back since. The Stand has good dogs though!

Pinkfoodie said...

5 Star Foodie - I hope you make it to Pink's one day.

duodishes - 5 times in one year? WOW! That is quite the record. I would imagine she had her share of Pink's for quite a while.

subscribe said...

Thanks for the update.. I haven't been to Pinks in years, might be time to visit again..

Thanks, Doug
romyraves.com

Sugared Ellipses... said...

I will forever think of a short story written by Harlan Ellison called "Prince Myshkin, and Hold the Relish" (found in the book Angry Candy, one of my favorites) whenever I hear about Pink's. I had never heard of Pink's before until then, and the story made me wistful for a Pink's hot dog at midnight.

Pinkfoodie said...

Doug - If you make it to Pink's I hope you order the chili cheese fries.

Sugared Ellipses - I've never read this short story before. Now I will have to go find it and read it.

Exile Kiss said...

Hi Pink Foodie,

Sugoi! :) Wow, that looks so decadent, unhealthy and SO delicious! (^_^) I don't think my friends and I would've ever thought about the Hot Dog and Burger together. It sounds like something Anthony Bourdain would do. :)

I haven't been back to Pink's in about 3-4 years. I may have to go back with a few friends and try that one of these days. :)

Pinkfoodie said...

Hi Exile Kiss,

It would be wise to bring friends to try the Poli burger. :) This could easily be an Anthony Bourdain special with a few twists of his own. I hope you enjoy it.

Ricardo said...

wow great review ..and that dog got me salivating. well done :) kisses xxx have a nice weekend :) xx