September 12, 2012

Daglas Drive-In, Winnetka

Daglas is an institution in the San Fernando Valley and most well known for their french fries. This locals spot is always busy at any given time of the day, but there is never a long wait for the food. They have perfected the idea of fast food and if you go, you can watch the guy behind the grill work his magic. The menu is quite extensive, ranging from vegetarian burgers, to pastrami burgers and salads and shakes. 

French Fries - Small
2.50

When I have a series craving for fries and I'm in the area, I always go to Daglas and get an order of small fries. If you've never been, you should know that a small at Daglas is probably equivalent to a large or x-large anywhere else. I worked my way through most of the bag before getting home to take a picture, but imagine a small lunch bag filled to the brim with double fried fries. I love their fries because they are crispy on the outside but still fluffy on the inside. It's also worth noting that these fries are good the next day. 

Grilled Cheese w/Pastrami
2 for grilled cheese, add 2 for pastrami
Feeling adventurous, I decided to try something else from their menu this trip and got the grilled cheese with pastrami. The slices of bread were toasted just enough to hold everything without falling apart. Inside were two slices of melted American cheese and a generous pile of pastrami. It tasted exactly as I imagined: a grilled cheese with pastrami. I really enjoyed the combination of the melted cheese with the salty pastrami, but it's definitely not something I would order all the time especially on top of an order of fries. 

I'm glad I was introduced to Daglas many years ago and even happier the quality of food has not changed. I can always count on them to satisfy my french fry cravings!

Daglas Drive-In
20036 Vanowen Street
Winnetka, CA 91301

Daglas Drive-in on Urbanspoon

No comments: