March 29, 2009

Homemade Pork Stew Noodle Soup


The noodle soups at Luscious Dumplings inspired me to make my own noodle soup. Below is the recipe I came up with. If you try it out, I hope you enjoy it and would love some feedback.


Ingredients:
3 cups water
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup Chinese cooking wine
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon of fresh ginger, minced
3 cloves of garlic, cut in half
3 star anise
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
1 1/3 pound pork stew meat

Bring all the above ingredients except the pork to a boil and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Add the pork, cover and cook for 2 hours, turning meat every 30 minutes. Turn off the heat after 2 hours, take out the pork and keep warm. Strain the broth with a cheese cloth and return to pot and add 1 cup of chicken broth (best to use low sodium) and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and ladle broth over noodles and top with sliced pork.

**Remember to taste as you go. My measurements are estimates**

No comments: