April 29, 2009

The Munch Box, Chatsworth

After a long morning of errands that ran well into the afternoon, I was hungry and craving chili cheese fries. There was no way I could make it to Pink's, wait in line and stay conscious, so we headed to The Munch Box. The Munch Box has been a childhood favorite of my fellow foodie's and it just so happened to be down the street from where we were.

The yellow building was hard the miss and seeing the long line of people outside gave me high hopes. It was nice to see the small menu hanging on the wall. There is nothing worse than trying to pick something from a menu of 50+ items or even 10+ items when I am on the verge of starvation. We ordered our food and waited...and waited...and waited. 15-20 minutes later, they finally called our order and the man behind the window apologized for the delay. Finally, the food is in my hands.

The Munch Box Menu

Chili Cheese Fries
2.45
I have never seen an order of chili cheese fries as big as the one we received. My will power was quickly fading as I reached for the camera. After taking what seemed like eternity to snap a quality photo of the fries I finally gave up. I threw the camera on my lap and grabbed a handful of fries smothered in chili and cheese. After the fries landed in my mouth and my taste buds registered, my immediate thought was, "these aren't Pink's chili cheese fries." What was I thinking? Of course these aren't Pink's fries, I'm not at Pink's. The fries needed to be cooked for a few seconds longer and seasoned with salt. There was nothing special about the chili, and definitely something missing. Not the chili cheese fries I had been craving, but they were good enough to hold me over. Will I crave these fries? The answer is no.

Hamburger with Cheese
3.05
My body regained enough strength and I reached into the white paper bag and pulled out a giant hamburger. Between the burger buns was a slice of cheese cheese, a burger patty, pickles, onions, and chili. I took a bite and my taste buds were overwhelmed by the taste of onions. I went in for another bite and noticed the thin burger patty was slightly pink. The patty in my friend's burger was cooked through unlike mine. Looks like the kitchen might have rushed the order. The patty is so thin, between the onions, pickles, and chili, it was difficult to taste it. The hamburger could have been good with less or no onions and a properly cooked burger patty. The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth.

Overall, the food was forgettable. If I take the undercooked burger patty, saltless fries and overwhelming onions out of the equation, then I would say the food is average and what one would expect from a hamburger joint. There is nothing special about the food to draw me back, but there are plenty of people who love this place and you do get a lot of food for the price.

The Munch Box
21532 Devonshire St
Chatsworth, CA 91311

Parking
There is plenty of parking in the lot on Devonshire.

No comments: