February 9, 2015

Brasserie Bofinger, Paris (11th arr)

Brasserie Bofinger is a classic eatery in Paris serving Alsatian dishes like pork and sauerkraut. One of the oldest brasseries in Paris and the first to ever serve beer on tap, Bofinger is considered a Paris institution and a must visit by many locals.
The restaurant did not show up during my research, but I ended up here at the guidance of two native Parisians. I was very glad to have experienced a classic French brasserie.

As with all my meals in Paris, I was drawn to the set menu, which had the option of two courses for 31 euros or three courses for 38 euros. Higher set menus were also available that included an appetizer, starter and champagne. 


The set menu I chose started off with a bowl of rich and creamy Porcini mushroom soup topped with crispy and light croutons. Other options for this course were foie gras or half dozen oysters.


The main course was a beautiful plate of choucroute, a very traditional Alsatian dish that consisted of sauerkraut, Frankfurt, smoked sausage, smoked pork belly and potatoes. 


Since our table ordered the same main course, everything arrived on a giant platter and was served family style. The portion was quite generous and more than enough for three people. The food was solid and tasted very good.    

The meal ended with the first and only crème brûlée I tried in Paris and a very good one at that. The hard caramel top was just the right thickness and underneath it was a smooth and creamy vanilla custard. 

Thank you to Monique and Brigitte for introducing me to Bofinger and showing me a local favorite. 

Bofinger Brasserie
5-7 rue de la Bastille 
75004 Paris 
Tél : +33 (0)1 42 72 87 82

No comments: